Wednesday, December 12, 2012


And It Is

by: Sajida Mohammed
Adult Category Winner
IWA Poetry Contest 2011

Give Him a word
One word
And you'll drown with its meaning
You'll sink with its lovely essence
Dumbfounded, you'll think your dreaming

Give Him a word
One word
And He'll craft a work of art
Design an untold masterpiece
Deep rooted in your heart

Give Him a word
One word
And you'll shine with its brilliance
Glow beautifully in its depth
A story filled with magnificence

Give Him a word
One word
And you'll know what it means to smile
To Laugh, to love, to live
To go that extra mile

Give Him a word
One word
And you'll see the essence of your being
The wonders of what lies around you
The fragility of this life your living

Give Him a word
One word
And trust that nothing will be missed
Give Him a word
Just one  word
'BE!'
And it is.


Cherry Blossom
by: Farah Razeena Abduz-Zahir

I touched the petals of a cherry blossom, bowing low on laden bough
today, while waiting for the bus.
Low enough for me to reach out and caress,
And feast my eyes on their angelic hue.
My bus came then.
I jumped on, keen not to miss, a ride to deadlines upon deadlines.

But that moment my fingers connected
I swear; the electrons in my skin jumped. Excited
Pulses rushed to the brain.
Somewhere, some deep synapse
Reverberated. In some deep way.

The signal synchronized with the soul of me
Often am I oblivious. To this inner soul.
A me in constant worship
By virtue of being a created being. Regulated, kept alive, harmonized
To laws of physics and nature. Indisputable, irrevocable, inescapable.
I exist;- an embodiment of the slave of Allah

A cherry blossom invoking a profound lesson
Magnificent slave of the Magnificent Maker
Look! Cherry petals everywhere… carelessly strewn by a dancing wind
Swirl and twirl and settle, in eddies and corners,
Filling nooks and crannies of busy sidewalks
People busily hurry over.

Unaware, Unknowing, un-remembering.
So hard to be always aware of where
we came from, where we are going.

But look! Look at all the cherry trees, boughs bent low in worship.
Always aware.

Carelessly it seems, the Glorious One scatters His glory,
Each petal a miracle
Thousands upon thousands fall and pile.
A powerful reminder, we trample on.

Oh resplendent Lord, not needing our worship
I look everywhere and everywhere I see
Your immense bounty

Let me then, worship thee
As my body, my mind, my life, my existence worships thee
Let me be aware.
Like that cherry tree I saw
Connected to my Maker, in serenity

No comments: